Margaret Cholski

Margaret Cholski
Signature

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Margaret's Artifacts

Growing up my Grandma Grape loved to see her father in his blacksmith shop.

"As I became older, I turned the forge for him and I loved it. Only by getting up on a box could I reach the handles. I wonder how much coal I wasted in my exuberance...Of course, this became my job, to turn the forge and to fetch and carry." (Cholski, Margaret K.)

From this she would watch her father bend and work with metals to create horseshoes or tools. I believe this is where she got her love for metal shop and later went into metal working and jewelry. Margaret would make the most beautiful jewlery for friends and family.

My Grandma Grape loved the Native American jewelry, Native Arts, and Mexican folk art. Every winter with her daughter,  Ellen, Grandma Grape and Papa Grape would travel to Arizona and stay in there sun home. I've only visited a few times to there sun home but I've been to Arizona at least 13 times.

These pictures will show you some of the different items she left for me after she passed away and there significance.

This is my Original Artifact. The Persian Turquoise necklace with matching earings. What is special about this item is that the Turquoise is soild, non-stablilzed turquoise mined from Persia/Iran. Margaret originally gave this set to her daughter, Ellen, who then later gave it to me. Margaret had taken the stone and set it into the silver base to create the necklace and earing set.



Always loving to work with metal, Margaret was always crafty. This is sprayed pine cone earing and necklace set, fused with silver to create a charm. They are very delicate and mean a lot to me.






With Grandma's love for Native Americans she purchased these charms for a pair of earings. The charm is of a native american girl.







Margaret loved Turquoise. She made these two necklaces. The one on the left are made of stones that are carved into bears. The earings in the center match. The necklace on the left show mulitple stones and turquoise in the shapes of birds and bears.





I remember when my grandma gave me these when I was little. She thought one day I would be able to wear them. They are inspired by the Native American jewelry in Arizona.






This is an agate bracelete. I was in the third grade when I recieved this as a gift. Its a beautiful tan color and its one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment